Apr 12, 2014

Un-break my iPad

It's not like my iPad was broken broken (other than that screen, but not referring to that now), but as I have written before, it was jailbroken. And I loved it. Mostly. I loved the little features it gave me. In the end, after more than a year of having a free bird iPad, what weighed in the scale most, was the annoyance of Safari crashing all the time. For no good reason. So, finally I had enough and decided to un-break my iPad.

That's not a huge big deal to do. Connect the iPad with iTunes on a laptop - Macbook or Win, either is fine. But, have I ever mentioned how much I dislike iTunes? I don't get the UI. Though, I have to admit, that when it actually started to do something, after waiting and wondering for several minutes after connecting the iPad, the backup-update console was straightforward enough.

My iCloud has been full for a long long time already. So first thing I did, was to backup my iPad in iTunes before attempting the return to the Applejail. That took quite some time, and after that I also transferred my un-bakced up photos to my Dropbox (which requiered ejecting the iPad from iTunes, should've done that first!), just for good measure. The iCloud photo sync still is not really realiable and not up to date today either.

Once this was all done, I re-plugged my iPad to the laptop, and iTunes launched automatically, asking me to update the software. I clikced Download and update, and the process started. After some time - during which I walked to the store with the dog - iTunes informed me of an unknown error and told me to restore the iPad. So Restore and Update I did.


After only a few minutes, iPad rebooted and iTunes prompted me to proceed with restoring the iPad from the backup. After several reboots and iTunes operations of syncing and such, the iPad was finally up and running again. With iOs7.1.

Everything seems to be running smoothly. I miss that top bar swipe menu a bit, but otherwise the iOs7 seems ok. Then again, haven't been using it yet more tha a cursory glance to check that all is well in my iPad.


1 comment:

  1. I do agree with you. A jailbroken iPad is always a bit more convenient and customizable. Although the common problem with those is that they have a tendency to crash most of the time. So, I think in the long run, it would always be better to have them in the normal settings, instead. :D

    Cordia Remsen @ RBSMN

    ReplyDelete